Author Topic: Upper control arms too short  (Read 508 times)

basickness

• Community Member
Upper control arms too short
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »
I recently started a build on my 1994 zj Laredo, (4.0L, 231 tcase etc) and have installed a rough country 3.5" kit on the rig. I dropped the transfer case as per directions, yet when cruising above 40 mph, the car shakes and vibrates like a cheap carnival ride. (No good vibrations, sorry Beach Boys)  I believe the issue is that the rear driveshaft is no longer in good geometry with the axle and t case, creating the shakes. My question is, can I find a way, or does anyone know, if I could get upper control arms from another vehicle( so stock arms from some other rig) and make them fit with the correct bushings? I know the original zj upper rear link is 13 1/4, so I believe a 14" arm would do the trick. Any thoughts, suggestions, or reasoning will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:27:15 PM by groovemachine »
94 ZJ 4.0L

^^^Sometimes I want a divorce

Erock

• Core Webmaster
  • Build Break Fix....
    • Flickr
Re: Upper control arms too short
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
Not to familiar with that... are you sure it's coming from the rear.... it's not the front end shaking?
1992 Jeep YJ 5.0L/T18/NP231J
Front soa Dana44 HP 4.56 lock rite
Rear 4 link Ford 8.8 4.56 Grizzly locker

basickness

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
its for sure the rear end. there is a distinct rattlin noise coming from below the frame, and all bolts are torqued to spec. I ended up ordering a set of adj upper control arms from IRO because i have to use the car for highschool and need transportation that doesn't shake like a mother.
94 ZJ 4.0L

bigko114

• Core Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
check your rear driveline angles then, that's where vibes would come from I'm pretty sure

basickness

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:06 PM »
Indeed it was my axle/driveshaft angle. Picked up some IRO adj uca's and fixed it right up. Now to sort that clanky exhaust that rides on the gas tank mount.....
94 ZJ 4.0L